It was 9th August 1975 when Mahesh Babu (born Mahesh Ghattamaneni) was born to veteran Telugu film actor Ghattamaneni Siva Ram Krishna and Indira Devi. Mahesh Babu has become the heartthrob of his female fans due to his charming looks, personality, swag and of course his acting skills. He received national recognition by the success of his movies ‘Athadu’ (2005), ‘Pokiri’ (2006), ‘Dookudu’ (2011), ‘Businessman’ (2012), ‘Srimanthudu’ (2015) and many others. He has an acting experience of about 30 long years.
Still, there are many things that people do not know about this superstar. So, here is a list of 10 unknown facts about Mahesh Babu – the Prince of Tollywood:
- Mahesh Babu is the youngest son of actor Krishna and therefore had a chance of entering the industry at a very early age. His first appearance was in film ‘Needa’ (1979) at the age of 4. He was also seen in eight other films as a child artist. As a child artist, his last film was ‘Anna Thamudu’ (1990).
- In the year 1990, his father ordered him to finish his studies. Mahesh Babu, therefore, took a break from his acting career in order to focus on his studies. He came back to the industry after 9 years in the year 1999.
- His debut film was ‘Raja Kumarudu’ in the year 1999. The film was directed by K.Raghavendra Rao and Mahesh Babu was seen opposite the Bollywood diva, Preity Zinta. The film was a commercial success and he also received Nandi Award for Best Male Debut.
- Mahesh Babu and actress Namrata Shirodkar started dating during the shoot of the movie ‘Vamsi’. The duo dated for over four years and after his sister, Manjula convinced their father, Krishna, they got married in the year 2005. They had their first child on 31st August 2006 and welcomed their second child on 20th July 2012. Despite having a busy professional life, Mahesh Babu spends enough time with his family as well.
- Being born and brought up in Chennai, Mahesh Babu did not get a chance to study Telugu language which is his mother tongue. Though he can understand and talk Telugu very well, he cannot read the Telugu language. He acts in the Telugu films just by listening to the dialogues from the directors and delivering them with perfection. He can speak both Tamil and Telugu fluently.
- He had been the Band Ambassador in Andhra Pradesh for Thums Up for 5 years. In the year 2012 Mahesh Babu replaced Akshay Kumar as the National Brand Ambassador for Thums Up. He also endorsed several other brands like Provogue, Paragon, Santoor Soap, Idea Cellular, Navranta Oil, ITC Vivel and may others.
- Mahesh Babu was voted as the Most Desirable Man in the Times Most Desirable Men 2013 online poll beating the superstars of Bollywood. He was placed in the 12th position in 2010, 5th position in 2011 and the 2nd position in 2012 before taking over the top position in 2013.
- Due to his outstanding performances in his movies, Mahesh Babu has won 7 state Nandi Awards, 4 Filmfare Awards, 3 CineMAA Awards, 2 South Indian International Movie Awards and 1 International Indian Film Academy Awards.
- In South India, Mahesh Babu is said to be the second highest paid actor after Rajnikanth. He has a net worth of about $20 million from his movies and brand endorsements.
- Mahesh Babu is very much involved in philanthropic works but does not like to disclose them. He is associated with many NGOs. As per media reports, he donates 30% of his earnings to charitable works related to helping old-age homes and homeless kids.
No wonder Mahesh Babu – one of the most influential actors in Telugu Film Industry has won the hearts of the people throughout the nation.