Indian Cinema is the largest in the World with thousands of films releasing each year in different languages. This generation has seen different genres of movies, drifting from the mainstream commercial lines, Films that could not do well at the box office but left an impact on the minds of the audiences. On the other hand, there are those bumper hit flicks which despite its wafer-thin plot made a mark at the box office, earning crores. The movies Sholay which was released in 1975, grossed 15 Crore and held the record for a long time. The following 10 are the highest grossed movies from all Indian films industry.
1. Dangal – Aamir Khan’s Dangal has broken the record set by his previous film PK, to become the highest-grossing Hindi film in history. As of now, it is the highest-grossing Hindi film in India. The journey of Phogat’s family is beautifully etched in the film and Aamir Khan shines in the role of Mahavir Singh Phogat. He has given his best performance till date. The actors who played Geeta and Babita were very much competent.
2.PK – The 2014 Indian satirical science fiction comedy film, PK is directed by Rajkumar Hirani and stars Aamir Khan in the title role and sharing a screen with Anushka Sharma. The story revolves around the journey of an alien who comes to Earth on a research mission and eventually under different circumstances rids the people of superstitions and false beliefs. Gaining mostly positive reviews, the film turned to be the highest-grossing Indian film of all time till Dangal happened.
3. Bajrangi Bhaijan – Bajrangi Bhaijaan features Salman Khan and Harshaali Malhotra, with Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Kareena Kapoor Khan in supporting roles. Khan plays the character of an ardent devotee of Hindu deity Hanuman, who restores the faith in humanity by battling all odds and taking a lost six-year-old mute girl back to her home, Pakistan.
4.Bahubali – The Beginning- The 2015 Indian epic historical fiction film directed by S. S. Rajamouli featuring Prabhas, Rana Daggubati, Tamannaah and Anushka Shetty in the lead roles. It became the first South Indian film to collect more than Rs 650 crore (6.5 billion) worldwide and the first non-Hindi film to gross Rs 100 crore (1 billion) in the dubbed Hindi version.
5. Sultan – The movie is a fictional sports drama with an equal dose of thrill, emotion, and drama. Salman Khan and Eid has become synonymous in India. Salman and Anushka look great as a couple and at the same time and executed their part in the most brilliant way. You are never going to feel bored because of its all about ups and ups along with the excellent music. Salman Khan has preved his worth yet again and is like old wine, getting better and better with the time.
6. Dhoom 3 – The 2013 Indian action thriller film was written and directed by Vijay Krishna Acharya and is the third installment of the Dhoom series. The movie features Aamir Khan as the antagonist and Katrina Kaif. Made on a budget of Rs 175 crore, Dhoom 3 is the most expensive Indian film of all time till Baahubali: The Beginning hit the screen. It accumulated around Rs 4 billion (US$59 million) worldwide within ten days.
7. Chennai Express – Chennai Express, directed by Rohit Shetty, and produced by Gauri Khan for Red Chillies Entertainment, features Shahrukh Khan and Deepika Padukone in the lead roles. Despite receiving mixed reviews from critics, it made many several box office records in India and abroad, becoming the quickest film to collect Rs 1 billion.
8. 3 Idiots – 3 Idiots was inspired by Chetan Bhagat’s novel Five Point Someone. Within few days of its release, the film was the highest-grossing film in its opening weekend in India and holds the record for the highest net collections in the first week.
9. Dilwale – Directed by Rohit Shetty, Dilwale is the comeback film of Kajol opposite Shahrukh Khan. It grossed more than Rs 372 crore worldwide and is the second highest-grossing film of Shah Rukh Khan after Chennai Express.
10. Prem Rattan Dhan Payo – Prem Ratan Dhan Payo is the fourth collaboration between Barjatya and Salman Khan after their previous films Maine Pyar Kiya, Hum Aapke Hain Koun and Hum Saath Saath Hain. Sonam Kapoor starred opposite Salman Khan which emerged as a commercial success and is among the highest-grossing Bollywood films, with a gross of Rs 400 crore.