All you need to know about the Cauvery water dispute

KarnatakaThe long-term dispute relating to the sharing of Cauvery river water has been going for the past 150 years. The two chief states directly involved in the controversy, namely Karnataka and Tamil Nadu have blamed each other on backing off on several agreements. The old issued popped its head again and had been the talk of the town since the order issued by Supreme Court on September 5. The order asked Karnataka to release 15,000 cusecs of water per day to Tamil Nadu. But things took a turn on Monday, September 12 when the Supreme Court brought a twist in the tale. Its new order now asked Karnataka to release 12,000 cusecs of water instead of 15,000 till September 20. But even this did not calm the agitators on both reaches of the “River of Conflict.”

The agitated mob torched the vehicles with TN number plates in Bangalore, ransacked shops run by traders hailing from Tamil Nadu and tore Tamil movie posters. At around 11.30 am, at Kamsale Mahadevaiah in Agrahara on Ramanuja Road Circle, the protestors burned a tourists’ car. In the second incident, they set fire to a truck transporting vegetables at the Agriculture Produce Market Committee (APMC) yard in Bandipalya. Violence spread like wild fire where a person got killed and many injured. While reporting about the turmoil on the streets, even India Today TV’s deputy editor Rohini Swamy and her video journalist got wounded and later hospitalized. In the same manner, the city faced a series of protests by the activists of various pro-Kannada organizations.

Tension was in the air, the protests were carried forward to Mysore, with no solution in sight. The situation in Chennai was nothing different, Udupi hotels and Karnataka bank branches were simultaneously attacked. A group of squabbling figures ignited the chaos while the respective chief ministers added wind to the fire. The situation turned to be a mere political game; they molded the situation in their way to please vote banks.Tamil NaduImage Via

The utter chaos that prevailed in almost all parts of Karnataka needed to be curbed. The district administration imposed Prohibitory Orders under CrPC Section 144 in APMC, Nanjangud Road, Bandipalya and other areas of the city.

All the 62 bus routes from Mysuru to parts of Tamil Nadu and all the service were suspended. Following fresh protests, most of the schools in the city were closed or asked to shut down on that day. Pro-Kannada activists distorted a poster of Rajnikanth at Ramaswamy Circle on JLB Road. City Police Commissioner B Dayananda appealed to the people not to take the law into their hands under any situation. Metro services resumed in the city after 20 minutes of suspension.

Following the large-scale violence, situations began to change and normalcy returned to violence-stricken Bengaluru on Wednesday. The Curfew, imposed on Monday night, was lifted in 16 police station limits of the city. Transport vehicles returned in service and establishments functioned normally. To prevent future uprisings necessary measures have been put in place. Nonetheless, prohibitory orders are still in place. The city police are carrying forward investigations to recognize the criminals who initiated the violence.

  • Article By :
    Khaidem Rajit Singha professionally working as Online Digital Marketing since 2010 and also he loves to do blogging about Technology, Travel, Fashion etc. at leisure time. Find him on Instagram @ khaidem

Random Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *